The Controller will report directly to the CFO and is directly responsible for the establishment of financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems. The controller shall be responsible for general ledgers and subledgers of all Wasaya entities and shall supervise all accounting team members.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Manager of Financial Reporting to analyze financial reporting (monthly, quarterly, annually). Make sure that the financial reports are efficiently completed within the set deadline and include meaningful variance analysis.
- Assist the CFO with budgets and projects.
- Ensures accurate and timely recording of all accounting transactions, adjustments and journal entries.
- Ensures timely filings of all sales tax and payroll reports and remittances.
- Ensures regular reconciliation of supplier accounts.
- Assists with ensuring that financial transactions follow company policy and procedures, also while following the proper regulations/legislation.
- Making sure the policies and procedures are followed by the accounting team.
- Facilitates and assists with managing all year end work/reporting and coordinates with external auditors.
- Assist with leading, developing, supervising, and training the accounting team.
- Monitors and/or conducts periodic internal audits of financial systems and information as required.
- Assist the finance/accounting department with hiring, training and retaining skilled accounting staff.
- Work alongside both the Director of Finance and Manger of Financial Reporting, when dealing with cash management and cash flow forecasting.
- Assist CFO with Shareholder reporting.
- Assist the Director of Finance with review and processing of payroll.
- Assist Manager of Financial Reporting with presentations to Senior Management.
- Perform and uphold Wasaya’s Customer Care Commitments to both internal and external customers.
- All other duties assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor of Business Commerce or Administration Degree majoring in Accounting
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Designation
- 5+ years’ experience of financial analysis, advisory and/or accounting experience
- Experience at a public accounting firm is an asset
- Applicants without CPA with significant business experience will be considered
- Experience in the Aviation industry is an asset
- Experience with ASPE (required) and public accounting standards (beneficial)
- Experience with Sage 50 and Sage 300 accounting software is an asset
- Experience with Ceridian payroll software is an asset
- Ability to communicate in Oji-Cree or Ojibway is an asset
- Strong analytical thinking and attention to detail
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well in a team setting
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Advanced Microsoft Office and PowerPoint skills
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Overtime as required
- Some travel may be required
- Ability to lift or move up to 10lbs
- Manual dexterity is required to use desktop computer or peripherals
If you are interested in this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to:
Wasaya Airways LP
201 Kelner Pl.
Thunder Bay, ON P7E 6V3
Fax: (807) 789-1645